Print is the most bankable medium for advertisers
Print has been growing thanks to our advertisers’ confidence in the medium, and because print delivers. As per ABC (July – December 2016), the print medium has added over 2.37 crore copies at a CAGR of 4.87% over the past 10 years. As per IRS 2017, readership of dailies has added 11 crore readers to reach 40.7 crore.
There are multiple reasons why print still delivers in this country where publications deliver over 62 million newspaper copies each day, and this is not restricted to just large cities. Growing aspirations in tier-I and tier-II cities are resulting in growth of English readership.
1) It is a strong morning habit. The day begins with print and therefore what better way for brands to launch a new product or promotion, make a splash about a new variant or packaging, create interest in the brand’s proposition through high impact and then leaving the rest of the day for the consumer to do his/her own discovery.
2) Print gives a brand instant awareness and impact. The recall to a print ad is much higher than most other mediums. The reason being that other mediums are highly fragmented and there is no guarantee that the viewer has seen an ad. Premium audiences that our publications serve are notoriously active ad-avoiders across TV and digital, and we see cord cutting in premium households common now. The newspaper offers guaranteed visibility and therefore higher recall, which results in better ROI for the advertiser.
3) Print works better in conjunction with digital because of the morning effect. Launching a campaign on TV during prime time does not compare with the impact or effect of a consumer seeing the ad in the morning newspaper with the full day ahead to discover more, talk to family, friends and colleagues about the brand/product. This ensures that the ad works harder resulting in higher recall and interest.
4) The printed word is credible and builds trust for brands through association. In this day of ad avoidance and doubt about digital delivery, it is newspaper brands that provide the credibility & trust that brands seek in platforms they use to reach premium audiences. In a world riddled with fake news today, more and more consumers are turning to newspapers to confirm their news. Only if its printed-on paper can it be trusted. Brands are leveraging the credibility of the medium to instill trust in their products.
5) Print offers immense innovation opportunities to advertisers like no other medium. It is the only medium that can cater to all five senses. And the Times Group has been at the fore front of innovations leading the way for the industry.